squid development - traffic statistics

From: Nickolay Pelov <nicksoft@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:14:35 +0100

Hi!
I am a student from a university in bulgaria. I have a school project
for calculating traffic from squid proxy and I have an idea.
First I thought to parse squid log file to get information about the
traffic. But in our school squid is generating about 1000-1500 lines per
secod. I think that it will be usefull squid to have option to send log
file information in some way to another process in raw format or to have
a static/shared library with functions to process this kind of
information (various methods can be discussed). As an option the squid
log file can be written in mysql database.
I'm ready to help with this part of squid. I looked of squid code and I
made some experiments. Using static/shared library to process logs opens
many doors to new features. Developers can make independent modules to
observe the traffic and get usefull statistics.

Now about my project. It must handle squid traffic for every
authenticated user and keep it in mysql database. It must show usefull
statistics about what is downloaded like: biggest files downloaded, days
witch server have greatest load, most active users. Other options can be
added later.
I have deadline for my project until 1 april (or little earlier so it
can be tested in real environment). If we can't make it until 1 april,
can continue my project with log file parsing and I can still realise my
idea for squid modules. As an option squid modules can do other things
like define access controls.

Note that I'm talking about current stable version of squid - 2.5-stable7.

I'll be happy to read your comments about my ideas.

Best regards,
Nick Pelov