Re: simulating HTTP latency by chaining squids

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:31:49 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Nick Lewycky wrote:

> In reality, I'm trying to test the performance in my squid3 branch under
> different situations and I need a way to simulate additional network latency.

FreeBSD "dymmynet" has good support for this kind of things on a packet
level, see the Polygraph documentation for configuration examples.

Also recall seeing a Linux module for simulating network latency and
packet loss but I don't remember where. Looking. There is several
approaches to packet level latency simulation on Linux:

   * the shaper module

   * the delay interface queue policy

   * Iptables QUEUE with Countertrace <http://michael.toren.net/code/countertrace/>

   * NIST Net <http://snad.ncsl.nist.gov/nistnet/>

And I am sure there is several other alternatives as well. This is just
the results of a quick 2 minutes search.