Re: [squid-users] Syslog patch for 2.5STABLE9

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 02:08:46 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Kevin wrote:

> I'd like to track the overall bytes in and out for squid transactions,
> but I noticed all the REQUEST_SIZE tokens are commented out in
> "access_log.c"?

Yes..

> I can see how request size would be problematic; the REPLY_SIZE_TOTAL
> is readily available from "al->cache.size", while there is no
> equivalent easy view into the size of a request.

And is why the token is not yet implemented.

> Before I go trying to implement this functionality, can you share any
> hints on approaches worth trying, or dead ends to avoid?

I haven't tried yet to collect this info.

For nomal requests http/ftp the information is readily available from the
request (headers + content-length) unless the request was aborted, but
for CONNECT or aborted requests there is no counter easily available
today.

If you disable persistent connections then the counters from the client
connection may be used, but only then.

> Or should I
> try to get in touch with Kinkie? I suppose if I'm going to keep
> beating up on squid internals I should probably just move these
> threads into squid-dev.

Yes.. hereby moving the discussiong to squid-dev.