relaxed_header_parser error message in users browser

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid-dev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:21:20 +1300

Hi,

I am seeing this error on a specific site:

--------

[root@tornado squid]# wget -S
"http://www.gridupgrade.co.nz/notion/share/download.asp?cid=5153&csid=12159&mdid=&file=%2Fupload%2Fnotion%2Fsectionimages%2F12159%5Falternatives%2Dinfo%2Dsheet%2Epdf"
--19:28:03--
http://www.gridupgrade.co.nz/notion/share/download.asp?cid=5153&csid=12159&mdid=&file=%2Fupload%2Fnotion%2Fsectionimages%2F12159_alternatives-info-sheet.pdf
            =>
`download.asp?cid=5153&csid=12159&mdid=&file=%2Fupload%2Fnotion%2Fsectionimages%2F12159_alternatives-info-sheet.pdf'
Resolving www.gridupgrade.co.nz... 203.96.31.127
Connecting to www.gridupgrade.co.nz[203.96.31.127]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
  1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  2 Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:19:13 GMT
  3 Connection: keep-alive
  5 Content-Disposition: inline; filename="alternatives-info-sheet.pdf"
  6 Connection: Keep-Alive
  8 Content-Type: application/pdf
  9 Expires: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:19:14 GMT
10 Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDQSRTDTCD=AJCEMDJAEEFHPJMILFPIGJGK; path=/
11 Cache-control: private

100%[====================================>] 72,912 32.72K/s

19:28:06 (32.62 KB/s) -
`download.asp?cid=5153&csid=12159&mdid=&file=%2Fupload%2Fnotion%2Fsectionimages%2F12159_alternatives-info-sheet.pdf'
saved [72,912/72,912]

[root@tornado squid]#

----------

Obviously it is slightly broken - duplicate Content-Length: and Connection:
headers. Probably fairly minor transgressions given the two values are the
same but..

Firstly, the error page displayed in the browser shows the request that was
sent, but not the actual invalid response that was received, which is the
part that squid complains is broken. In my opinion we should be showing
either the headers returned that are broken (useful), or a very simple
error that does not include headers (simple). At the moment, we're neither
simple or useful. The current output of the request headers error page will
be seen as goobledegood and rubbish to most end users and admins, and to
non-technical users looks more like an error with squid than an error with
the remote site. At the moment based on a couple of postings to
squid-users, even administrators seem baffled by it (they should be looking
at cache.log really, I know).

However if the error messsage displayed in the browser had instead the
error the same as logged in cache.log, for example:

---
The following error was encountered:
Invalid Response - found two conflicting content-length headers in response
from %HOSTNAME
---
Then it might be more meaningful.
Secondly, the error logged is that the content-length headers
conflict.  Strictly speaking, they don't conflict, there are just two of
them which are identical ;-)
Reuben