Re: Squid-3.0.PRE

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:44:44 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Serassio Guido wrote:

> Probably the main problem is that we have a release that was named PRE, but
> it was (and now is still) not at the PRE source quality code level, causing
> some confusion.

At the time it was beleived the quality was at PRE level. But then
problems was discovered and even increased somewhat by later changes..

Now the quality level is steadily increasing again, and if this is
continued it should soon be back at PRE level again.

> For me a 3.0 PRE release should have at least the same functionality of
> current 2.5, plus any 3.0 specific improvement.

I would not require all the 2.5 patches.

> And as I know, in 3.0 we are still lacking a decent NTLM support, but
> some work is currently in progress on the SPNEGO side.
>
> If we want reach a PRE quality point in a few time, we could target for PRE4
> a NTLM negotiate support with no more challenge reuse and target for PRE5
> full SPNEGO support.

The difference between NTLM without challenge reuse and SPNEGO is minimal.
What I did in the 2.5 branch was that I implemented SPNEGO, then
translated it back to NTLM wiht a search/replace of Negotiate to NTLM and
trivial changes in the helper format and removed the SPNEGO specific
response header function.

A diffstat between the two files gives 21 insertions(+), 55 deletions(-),
in a file of 750 lines (SPNEGO)..