Re: Info about forward port of patches to 3.0

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:42:14 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> If the issue is independence from winbindd (for a vital testing point of
> separation), then I would note that I added a --password option to
> ntlm_auth a little while back. This option causes ntlm_auth not to
> contact winbindd, but to instead simply use that fixed password.

Cool, but this isn't really the reason why the SMB helpers exists.

The SMB helpers is different in that they use a SMB server as backend
source for NTLM/LANMAN authentication. These are considerably easier to
use as no Samba needs to be installed and no need to join the domain, but
not suitable for higher loads due to Windows oddities.. Works reasonable
to Samba servers however. In addition the NTLMSSP support in the ntlm
helper is rather crappy.

We have no ntlm helpers using static password databases shipped with
Squid. Only basic (ncsa_auth).

I have a separate NTLMSSP helper using a static password file and built
around the same crappy NTLMSSP routines as the other Squid helpers, but
there is no plans to add this helper to the distribution.