Memory usage fix (patch)

From: Steven Wilton <steven.wilton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:33:09 +0800

I've seen a few queries over the years regarding squid's memory usage. While working on the epoll support for squid, I found that one of the reasons that squid's memory usage would go from a stable 300MB to >600MB overnight for no apparent reason.

The problem is that uncacheable objects (ie size > maximum_object_size, or download managers doing multiple partial requests on large files) are always held in memory. Squid does free this memory as the data is sent to the client, but it doesn't look like there's a backoff mechanism when the data is arriving at a much faster rate than it is being sent to the client.

The attatched patch fixed this problem with my epoll support, and I believe that it should also work under poll and select.

Steven