Re: Support for resolv.conf search and ndots

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:21:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Thien Vu wrote:

> I adapted Florin Andrei's patch for support of the search directive in
> /etc/resolv.conf and added support for ndots resolution as well (since
> having one and not the other can seriously break name resolution).
>
> I was hoping to get this integrated, because the search path stuff has
> been put off for a long time now, and the ndots is a critical
> component of name resolution through resolv.conf

Looks interesting, but one small comment:

The size check of 63 looks somewhat malplaced. This size limit applies to
individual domain components (the word between two dots), not the whole
(sub)domain which may be larger (up to 256 characters) as long as each
component is not larger than 63 characters. You should be OK by simply
dropping this part of the patch I think.