Re: originserver plus carp configuration?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:55:59 -0500

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Joe Cooper wrote:
>
>>> CARP balances based on a hash of the destination URL, not client.
>>

>> Hmmm...that raises a different question: How does one address the
>> issue of maintaining client stickiness?
>

> It doesn't. CARP is designed for routing requests to a cloud/array of
> parent proxy cache servers with minimal duplication of cache content.

Nevermind. One shouldn't configure Squid while tired. ;-)

Now that httpd accel hosts are cache_peers I can used cache_peer_access
to make the distribution decisions...Don't know why I didn't think of
that, as I've used it in the past for similar purposes.

That said, http://devel.squid-cache.org/rproxy/backend.html#balance
suggests that some mechanism for load balancing based on client exists
in rproxy, though I don't see anything relevant in the configuration
options. (This item is marked "(done)" in the todo list.)