net ads user info group authenticator

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:31:06 -0500

Hi all,

For whatever reason (still would like to know why) one of my client
systems using NTLM auth to an Active Directory server suddenly could no
longer get group and user information via wbinfo -g and wbinfo -u after
an AD server update. However, the net ads user info command still
worked fine, so as a workaround I rewrote the wbinfo_group.pl to use net
ads commands. I've attached the modified version.

It's probably wrong in some or many ways, and it has the negative of
needing a username/password (but seemingly a not very privileged user
will work). Anyway, it solved my immediate problem and got groups
working again.

Something along these lines might be useful in subsequent Squid
versions. I don't know if wbinfo is one of the samba pieces being
replaced by net commands, but if it is, obviously a net replacement
would be good to have around.

Comments welcome. I'm always eager to learn more about winbind. It's
still a mystery to me, most days. ;-)