Re: About SQUID and SNMP TRAPS , and snmp in general

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:08:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Lombao, Cesar wrote:

> I would like to know if there is any plan to improve the SNMP area of
> Squid, and, most precisely, the capability to send TRAPS.

It has been discussed and seen as a good thing. But so far no developer
has stepped up to do the implementation.

> In case this is a pending point, I would like to help, although, I'm
> afriad, I would not be very helpful, as prior to start to do nothing I
> have to learn a lot, I never used any SNMP library, so, I think there
> are over there many persons quite more capable than me.
>
> Although.... it would be a fascinating project.... ;-)

If you can you are most welcome to try to implement this, preferably for
the Squid-3 tree (Squid-2.5 is feature frozen, no new features allowed if
not security related).

There is two approaches, either resurrect the now deleted trap snmp code
in the old simplminded snmp library used (and distributed) by Squid, or do
it more proper and replace the SNMP agent glue in Squid with a new one
using the more up to date net-snmp library API
<url:http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/>, making Squid a SMUX or AgentX
sub-agent to an existing system SNMP agent supporting either method.

net-snmp comes with fairly complete documentation on most aspects
including the API, and also some exsamples on how to use it.