squid-2.5 optimisation

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:43:53 +0800

Hiya everyone,

Over the last two years I've received a few emails, here and there,
hinting at optimisations various people have done to squid-2.5 to make
it run "faster". I'd like to start implementing some of these, if
they're not too intrusive, into squid-2.5 just to try and keep it
reasonably useful whilst others hammer on -3 and also so we have
a list of places to look and things to keep in mind when -3 is stable.

You don't have to post them publicly, I'm quite happy to summarise
what I receive here.

One thing I remember, but I can't find in my current mailbox,
was an email someone sent a while ago outlining that reducing the
number of s*printf()s in the store IO path helped reduce CPU usage.

What other suggestions do y'all have?

(FYI: I'm looking at this now because we're pushing squid-2.5 reasonably
 hard here at UWA and I'd like to keep running it in the future.
 I can get project time on the proxy if I have some clear goals with
 useful/measurable results.)

Adrian