Re: logfile helper

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:36:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Andrey Chichak wrote:

> I have patched Squid-2.5.STABLE10 to write logs into pipe.
> Write in config file:
> cache_access_log |<some script>
> and access log would be catched with script.
> During logrotate pipe is reopened.
>
> I think this is useful for realtime log analize.

Interesting.

There is some areas where this can be improved however.

1. The writes to the pipe should be non-blocking to avoid halting Squid if
the script can not keep up.

2. To deal with the pipe being non-blocking you need buffering of the log
writes. And a (perhaps configurable) limit of how much log data can be
buffered.

And then the obvious but less fun, for these changes to make it into the
main Squid code tree it needs to be made within the Squid-3 tree.
Squid-2.5 is feature frozen since many years back..