Re: Squid-2.5.STABLE11-RC2 (Release Candidate 2) available

From: Paul P Komkoff Jr <i@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:47:20 +0400

Replying to Henrik Nordstrom:

Henrik, I realise that it might be too late for this stuff. On the
other hand, it won't introduce any new bug I think.

squid configure scripts are checking MAXFD at the time of
compilation. Many systems today limiting user's usage of fds to
1024 (or even less).
In particular, one of these systems is Fedora.

Fedora's build system working in chroot, under "casual" user. So,
standard squid packages got built with fd limit = 1024. This may be
enough for single user setup, but definitely not for 1200 hosts
behind.

And right now, redhat guy gave me this "nice" answer:
------- Additional Comments From stransky@redhat.com 2005-09-19 04:13 EST -------
Please, route this issue to upstream, http://www.squid-cache.org/ and file the
request here. I don't want to change this default value for Fedora only. And If
you have to manage a large site, you surely don't use the default values but you
do some tuning.

Definitely I'm doing some tuning! I'm rebuilding it myself and
blocking upstream updates for this package. Maybe it's not only me who
doing same extra work.

How we can fix this on the squid side (if redhad side proven itself so
stupid)? Maybe, set default minimum for linux to 16384?

--
Paul P 'Stingray' Komkoff Jr // http://stingr.net/key <- my pgp key
 This message represents the official view of the voices in my head