Re: Introducing Phil Bogle, proposed additions to Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 01:54:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Phil Bogle wrote:

> * The x-always-cache directive overrides all other response headers
> that would otherwise cause Squid not to cache a response (e.g. Expires).
> Be careful with how you use this header since it could cause unexpected
> caching.

Doesn't the existing refresh_pattern overrides do the job as well? Or is
there any specific reason you need this on a per-request basis rather than
based on what is being requested?

> * The x-cache-key directive overrides the actual URL used to fetch
> the content for purposes of determining cache hits. It is typically used
> to ignore session query string parameters that would otherwise prevent
> caching.

To be safe this logics needs to be moved into the proxy rather than the
client (crawler in your case).

One way I see this done "proper" is similar to the redirector interface we
have today, but instead of rewriting the URL to be requested only the
cache key URL is rewritten.