Re: about the squid arch

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:35:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 fantacywall@hotmail.com wrote:

> Sorry,who can tell me how i can get an overview of squid.It is a complex
> giant project to a tyro like me.

The beginning of the programmers guide tries to give a overview of the
main components.

> Is there someone have a idea of squid's archtecture?

Yes.

> or tell me what i can do.I have read the Programmers Guide but failed to
> grasp the main points.

The main points you need to grasp are:

   - Cooperative multitasking by callback events. Instead of waiting for
something to happen callbacks is used to signal that a certain event has
taken place; network data available, DNS lookup completed, helper has
returned answer etc...

   - The existence of the main select loop, where most callbacks gets
registered to get called when there is activity on a network connection.

Then from there is a number of different subcomponents to look at
depending on what part interest you most.