Re: Dynamic filtering features

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:33:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Ahmed Obied wrote:

> Squid was to be able to filter URLs dynamically in real-time and according to
> specific rules. For example, if I want to block access to the following URL:
> http://www.ucalgary.ca/ between 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM then in the current
> implementation of Squid, I'll have to do the following:
>
> - - Add the URL to the access control list in the .conf file before 1:00 PM
> and start Squid.
> - - At 2:00 PM, the URL must be deleted from the access control list and
> Squid must be restarted.

For just time based ACL you only need to combine dstdomain and time acls.

acl blocked_domain dstdomain www.ucalgary.ca
acl blocked_time time 13:00-14:00
http_access deny blocked_time blocked_domain

but yes, for dynamic changes you currently have to either have to use
"squid -k reconfigure" after each change or implement the filter using a
redirector helper, and with the redirector changes in Squid-3 this can be
done very efficiently.

But yes, I fully agree that it would not hurt having a good dynamic URL
match built-in to Squid.

> Please let me know what you think. I really have a passion for writing code
> and would like to contribe to the open source community.

You are most welcome to.

But first please describe a bit of the approach you used. There is some
minor design criterias of Squid which may cause a bit of headache unless
accounted for in the beginning..