Re: wikis...

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 09:48:29 +1000

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 01:23 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> lör 2006-04-22 klockan 08:33 +1000 skrev Robert Collins:
>
> > What I remember from the prior discussion is that the wiki Duane setup
> > was primarily for internal notes - like squid-cache.org configuration,
> > admin tips etc.
>
> That's not how I remember it. From what I remember the objection from
> Duane wrt Kinkies wiki was more of a control and backup issue. docuwiki
> was selected by Duane as it's trivial to back up, and additionally the
> back-end content isn't hard to reuse for other purposes later on.

What gives it these properties? For contrast Moin uses flat files on
disk, one per version, so is trivial to backup, and supports ReST format
pages as well as Moin syntax. ReST is a semi-standard in the python
community - the docutils package processes it into html/pdf etc etc. Its
a markup language where the .txt version is expected to be usable as-is.

Rob