Re: config.test fragments

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:59:44 +0200

Hi Henrik,

At 01.53 25/04/2006, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>mån 2006-04-24 klockan 22:52 +0200 skrev Guido Serassio:
>
> > I think that the "config.test" magic should be true for all platform
> > or for none: the "majority of users" is a too much indeterminate concept.
>
>By majority I refer to the users who have the needed components in the
>base system, not as third-party addon packages. I am entirely happy with
>people wanting to build helpers dependent on third-party packages to
>have to do a little more work to indicate they want these helpers build.
>
>If this is not an acceptable goal for the automated selections of which
>helpers to build then I propose we drop the config.test hack entirely,
>and work on a more bullet prof approach.

The problem here is that a little of flexibility
is needed. A solution could be to use the content
of CPATH (if defined) to look into non standard locations.

>My suggestion for an alternative is to provide a configure script in
>each helper directory doing the needed probes, and if requirements is
>not met the Makefile in that helper directory defaults to build and
>install nothing. This would also remove some of the unneeded burden from
>the top-level configure making it easier to maintain.
>
>These configure scripts should take an --enable-basic-auth-helper-NCSA
>(or --disable..) to indicate user preference about if this helper should
>be built, overriding the decision made based on the probes. Most likely
>there should be a --disable-basic-auth-helpers option as well to disable
>building all helpers unless explicitly enabled.
>
>In this design there is no special flags or tests in the main configure
>script for telling which helpers to build. The magic is entirely
>confined to each helper. And additionally configure flags for specifying
>what to build behave more naturally.

Yes, it could be the better solution.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/