Re: proposal: add external_acl flags: max_requests min_alive

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:20:10 +0200

ons 2006-04-26 klockan 11:13 -0300 skrev Gonzalo Arana:

> I proposed min_alive to limit helper recycle rate, not to increase it.

I know, and I question the need to have this lower limit on the helper
restarts.

> max_requests imposes a relation between request rate and helper
> recycle rate. If request rate increases drastically (not a difficult
> thing to do), helpers may start recycling too fast.

Only if max_requests is set relatively low compared to how buggy the
helper is. It should only be set low if there is serious problems, in
which case you actually want to have it restarted even if the request
rate is high.

> agreed :D. I am no having troubles with my helpers, but process
> rotation is a good policy (at some extent).

As long as the helpers behave reasonably the daily rotation done as part
of the log rotation process should be sufficient.

> helper rotation would help not only as a dirty way of coping with
> resource leakage, but as well as a way of using shorter idle timeouts
> for database conections.

idle timeouts is best managed in the helpers imho. And if this was the
gole there would be a need for a "restart_interval" option rather than
min_alive, placing an upper limit on how long the helper is kept
running.