Re: If-Modified-Since-And-Content-Length-Something

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 09:02:22 +0200

mån 2006-05-01 klockan 16:38 +1200 skrev Doug Dixon:

> I assume it's supposed to tell you whether a store entry has been
> modified since the "If-Modified-Since" time specified in the request.
>
> 1. It's looking at content_length for some reason

Some servers returns this.. but technically we should perhaps not be
looking at it.. (it's not supposed to be there in a 304)

> 2. It's looking at imslen (whatever that is) for some reason

This is the length parameter in the IMS header sent by Netscape and a
few other clients.

If-Modified-Since: HTTP-date; length=NNNN

> What has object length got to do with it?

It's validations the object really is the same. HTTP/1.0+ things from
before ETag.

Now these validations should only take place if the data is known,
completely ignored otherwise.