Re: [Squid Bug 1548] - TCP_REFRESH_HIT/TCP_REFRESH_MISS do not update Squid's opinion of an object's freshness

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 10:50:26 +0200

tis 2006-05-02 klockan 10:22 +1200 skrev Doug Dixon:

> It's probably a FAQ because currently everything is lumped into HIT
> and MISS - and these terms are irrelevant to refreshes. It's wrong to
> say a refresh can ever be a HIT, or that a MISS during a refresh is
> somehow undesirable. The thing to know about a refresh is what the
> origin said.

Agreed.

> Understood about breaking the external interface. (Although it might
> serve to highlight which third party tools are actively used :-P)

Quite many. calamaris is quite well spread, but nearly every tool on
http://www.squid-cache.org/Scripts/ plus numerous others is in use
somewhere. It's a diverse world.

> My inclination in this case is to err on the side of clarity and
> correctness at the expense of breaking tools, especially since we're
> PRE.

Think so too, but should be thought over a bit first. But I suppose that
it shouldn't be hard to add a log format tag for people who need to
revert to the old format so there is not really a problem..