RE: NTLM forwarding in 2.6 ?

From: Baumgaertel, Oliver <oliver.baumgaertel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:04:14 +0200

We have several layers of Proxies:

User -> Region -> Region -> inner farm -|Firewall|-> DMZ farm
-|Firewall|-> Internet
User -----------> Region ->
User --------------------->

We do all our authentication/authorisation and filtering based on
user/group in the inner farm. Currently we mainly do authentication
based on the IP adress(-range) (around 95%) and only very few users are
authenticated via NTLM. However, we are under orders to change that in
the foreseeable future to pure NTLM. So that'll be for Proxy
authentication, server NTLM is only done within the intranet itself and
that's taken care of in the proxy settings of the clients.

BlueCoats for example allow such a scenario with a thing called "NTLM
forwarding". As far as I am aware that's not possible with Squid right
now. So I wonder if that'll be part of the upcoming Stable 2.6/3 as
we've to start planning for the nescessary changes rather soon.