Re: WCCP2 "duplicate message" reports

From: Paul P Komkoff Jr <i@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 10:27:11 +0400

Replying to Henrik Nordstrom:
> > I've implemented a workaround here. For the first time, I thought I
> > can use n+1 sockets - one for each router in the view for sending, and
> > another one bound to local port 2048 - for receiving. But after some
> > initial testing I've discovered Cisco IOS violating not only
> > ancient RFCs (RFC791) but it violates Cisco's own draft.
>
> In what way is this a violation of RFC791?

Some people on lkml, including Dave Miller, agreed that analyzing ID
on DF packets is violation of rfc791 :)

> Well, this is the normal thing in TCP/IP networking. Always return to
> the source port the query came from. In fact most consider anything else
> broken by default.

I absolutely agree about TCP, and also I've seen a lot of this
behavior when UDP is used to create bidirectional data exchange - just
like TCP but without retransmission.

But wccp2 draft according to which I've wrote my code explicitly
states that WCCP messages are transmitted to port 2048 :)

--
Paul P 'Stingray' Komkoff Jr // http://stingr.net/key <- my pgp key
 This message represents the official view of the voices in my head