Re: 2.6, all features merged?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 01:12:35 +0200

tor 2006-05-25 klockan 17:12 +0300 skrev Andres Kroonmaa:

> I have no time to participate, and only loosely tracked latest events,
> but have you considered chunked mempools for inclusion to 2.6?

Not at this time no.

> It was developed for 2.5 and was stable. Its benefit was reduced
> memory footprint for many systems. I'm wondering, that perhaps 2.6 is
> a last release based on 2.5 tree, and people who might stick with it
> even when 3.0 is out, might benefit from chunking. Or did it seem too
> radical for inclusion to 2.6?

From what I remember the API change was pretty minimal so it doesn't
sound radical.

But the old 2.6 patches does not apply cleanly on the new tree so some
work is needed if this is to be done. The relevant patches can be found
here if someone is inclined to take a stab at it:

    http://www.squid-cache.org/~hno/old-2.6/chunked_mempool/

and (in spirit, not so much code)

    http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.0/changesets/10250.patch

There is also an old "chunked_mempools" branch in the devel cvs which
maybe can be resurrected. I assume this matches the original merge of
the patch pretty closely.