Re: Commit changelogs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:33:48 +0200

mån 2006-08-07 klockan 13:04 +0200 skrev Guido Serassio:

> Yes, I also prefer a solution without any special markup, but this
> solution warrants that the commiter must know what is doing, and it's
> a not so big effort like the old 2.5 patch management .... :-)

What about the following simple rule

First paragraph must be >20 characers and <120.

If it doesnt start with Bug then it must additionally be >40 characers
long

and it must be followed by a second paragraph further explaining the
impact of the change.

i.e. a title and a description is required, separated.

and to further guide the committer there may be a template commit
template message looking something like the following:

Bug:
Title:

Description

where the keywords is automatically transformed into the kind of text we
have been using up to now..

[Bug #xxx: ]Title..

Description..