Re: Commit changelogs

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:51:22 +0200

Hi Henrik,

At 16.08 07/08/2006, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>mån 2006-08-07 klockan 14:44 +0200 skrev Guido Serassio:
>
> > What about an optional tag allowing a minimum length override ?
>
>If we go to the tagged/guided form there will most likely be no lower
>limits other than there must be a title and a following description.
>
>For now I thinkt I'll just ignore the issue, and instead remind everyone
>that it's a good idea to write same commit messages. For me it's good
>enough, and if all goes well the commit rate should continue to decline
>rapidly in 2.6 now.

I agree, but I like to write a little "commit
guide" with some of the topics of this thread:
- Bug commit format
- Standalone patch commit format

But I will do it after the next two weeks:
tomorrow will start a very busy period for me ... :-(

>For Squid-3 it isn't even set in stone which version control tool should
>be used. The "fight" is currently between CVS (or maybe SVN to keep with
>the same philosophy but better engine) and Baz. With CVS we have a
>server enforcing rules on us, with baz it's less controlled with the
>benefit of being able to easily branch anywhere in any means desired
>without loosing track.
>
>monotone has already been disqualified, at least in it's current
>incarnation. It's main benefit compared to baz would be the multihead
>support which allows delayed conflict resolution allowing any developer
>to resolve the conflict and not only the last one to commit and seamless
>flow of information, but it fell badly in cross-branch merge support
>with no cherrypicking and failure to at all handle files added on two
>branches in a sane manner, not even providing sane diff capabilities to
>compare the two copies in such cases. Also the seamless flow of
>information feels a bit scary for the uninvited.

I don't have any particular preference: the only
thing that I need is the availability of a Windows port .... :-)

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/