Re: file == ftp ?!?!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:06:32 +0200

lör 2006-08-26 klockan 13:48 +1000 skrev Robert Collins:
> Currently squid treats a request for file:// as an alias to ftp://. I
> think this is bogus as all browsers I know of treat file:// as the local
> file scheme.
>
> I'd like to remove this alias support from squid. Any objections?

No objection, I just don't see the point.

file: is an odd scheme. The official (RFC1738) syntax is

       file://<host>/<path>

   As a special case, <host> can be the string "localhost" or the empty
   string; this is interpreted as `the machine from which the URL is
   being interpreted'.

Many implementations also accept file:/path to refer to files on the
local host, even if not technically correct syntax per the RFC.

the difference from the other schemes is that there is no communication
method defined on how to transfer the file and it's up to the
implementation to define how to transfer the requested object from the
requested host. So there is nothing wrong with us mapping file:// to
ftp://, but not much use either as clients really shouldn't be sending
us file:// URLs under normal conditions.