Re: squid3 nt port -> mainline

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:38:34 +0200

Hi Robert,

At 01.28 30/08/2006, Robert Collins wrote:
>Guido, I'm wondering what parts of the nt port could be brought into the
>trunk. I.e. your WinAIO and WinDiskThreads code ?

The code in the current Windows port can be grouped in two classes:

- Code that builds and runs on all Windows environments (Cygwin,
MinGW and VisualStudio)
- Code that build and runs only on MinGW and VisualStudio (native only)

The majority of the first class was already merged into HEAD. Still
remain WinAIO and WinDiskThreads.
They are two clones of AIO and DiskThreads. The first is based on
native Windows overlapped I/O, the second on native Windows threads
(is the evolution of a your old work for Cygwin). The majority of
their code is duplicated with the Unix/Linux counterpart.

Also a big portion of the second class was already merged. They are
still two major things: fd <=> socket handling and IPC refactoring.
The first is based on some Windows "dirty" tricks, but the code is
quite isolated and so it's safe to merge.
The second is your old IPC refactoring, essential for the native
Windows support. This is the thing that I like more to see into HEAD.
I have created some time ago an ipc branch on Sourgeforce that is
synced with HEAD, but I still don't have done a complete test of how it work.

I think that we could try to add MinGW to the Squid natively
supported platforms, leaving only the VisualStudio support into the nt branch.
What is needed for this ?
- Merge of IPC refactoring: major changes, mandatory
- Merge of fd <=> socket: isolated changes, mandatory
- Merge/refactoring of some configure and lib stuff: isolated or
minor changes, mandatory
- Merge of WinAIO and WinDiskThreads: isolated changes, not mandatory

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/