Re: squid3 nt port -> mainline

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:34:57 +0200

Hi,

At 16.44 31/08/2006, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > - The Runtime libraries used are recent, while MinGW uses the old
> > msvcrt.dll, born in 1998 ....
>
>How much are we actually dependent on this runtime library?

Totally: all C/C++ standard functions are here: file I/O, strings,
memory allocation, etc
And please note: the current implementation of fd <=> socket
equivalence is based on some very low level interaction with some CRT
internal structure. The interface used is documented from Microsoft,
but they don't explain what usage can be done with it .... :-)
The good news is that this interface was never changed between CRT
different versions.

> > The major cons are the lack of autoconf/automake support and the
> > "project files bandwagon" .....
>
>Is those working with mingw?

Sure, on MinGW both 2.6 and 3.0 nt branches can be boostrapped,
configured and build like on other platforms. Excluding IPC and fd
<=> sockets handling, only some minor changes to configure.in,
Makefiles and some additional lib files are needed.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/