Re: Squid-3 roadmap change

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:30:45 +0200 (CEST)

>> 1. Add minimal HTTP/1.1 support as a requirement for 3.0.STABLE. It's
>> seriously starting to be a bigh hinderance for Squid being HTTP/1.0.
>> At minimum we need chunked encoding and expect 100.

> I dont agree - at the moment noone is developing or focusing this, and
> we dont know how big an issue it is to implement. I'm worried this will
> lead to an indefinite backoff effect.

I obviously don't share this view of the complexity involved. Have
implemented most of this already in 2.6 for a customer running Squid as a
reverse proxy, and it's not really a big issue from what I have seen. The
changes needed for minimal HTTP/1.1 level is

1. Chunked decoding of incoming HTTP responses and requests

2. A bit more filtering of hop-by-hop HTTP headers.

3. Some small glue to handle 100 Continue responses to Expect: 100.

> I'd rather see this be a focus for 3.1.

I am ok with that, just not so sure the world is..

We are even more overdue in getting HTTP/1.1 support than the release of
Squid-3.0.