Re: Squid-2.6 comm_select_win32.c, time for a rewrite to new commloop structure?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:16:57 +0800

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 02:51 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > WSAAsyncSelect()
>
> probably better to go straight to overlapped io, which is pretty nice.

Get squid-3 out the door and concentrate on tidying up the codebase!

Overlapped IO won't buy you much; the rest of Squid is too horribly
inefficient for it to matter much at all (ie, you'll probably save
~ 15% on read/write calls from what I've seen but squid-3 chews
up far, far too much CPU time in (many) other places.)

(When this is done you'll be rather scared at how much of a boost
overlapped IO will give you. Its acually frightening to watch
a Win2k or win2k3 server decimate a Linux/FreeBSD machine due to
overlapped IO. Ouch.)

Adrian