Re: unsigned/64bit counters?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:45:30 +0100

ons 2006-12-27 klockan 16:20 -0300 skrev Gonzalo Arana:

> I've come across select_loop counter wrap (currently it is an 'int' variable).

which for most things isn't a problem.. counters do wrap. It's a problem
when gauges wraps, but not really a problem when counters wrap unless
something reads the counter as an absolute value since startup and not a
counter..

> Shouldn't counters be at least unsigned?

Most isn't..

> Does anyone disagree with having 64 bit unsigned counters? The
> drawbacks I see are:
> 1) 3rd party utility that parse cache manager information must support
> 64 bit unsigned values
> 2) and that snmp mibs should be changed accordingly.

What would the real use benefits be of changing the MIB?

I'm fine with making the counter a long internally if that helps, but I
just don't see the point of making it a 64-bit SNMP counter.