Advancing IPv6 properly

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:34:08 +1300

I have been giving the branch a lot of thought and a little testing
recently.

I have come to the conclusion that the IPv6 branch under squid3 as it
stands is in need of quite a makeover. I'd like your ideas on this:

    Creating an IPAddress class to replace all the nasty macros
currently used in the (incomplete) preperation of HEAD for the future
ipv6 branch merge.

I am not certain at this point if the creation of such a class warrants
it's own branch. One of the things I'd like guidance on is whether or
not, and if so from where it would be best to branch.

My reasons:
  - The dev guides I have read on the site read that squid3 is meant to
be a C++ program (objects and explicit types _NO_ macros) but has not
yet been fully ported up as yet. This would form another small step in
that upgrade path.

  - The current ipv6 branch uses exclusively macros to enable a smooth
upgrade when the ipv6 side of it is going. This is built into the nature
of the branch and is partially moved up to HEAD already in preperation.
Not a nice method of transition in an object-based app.

  - Most of the ipv6 mods still need to be finished and tested anyway,
so will not suffer greatly from the shrinkage thhis would cause.

Is it worth it? and would anyone with more knowledge of the future code
than I have like to hazard a guess at an expected timespan for it?

Amos