Re: squid3 comments

From: Tsantilas Christos <chtsanti@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:27:47 +0200

Hi Adrian,

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> They make sense but you'd be repeating the work I've done in the squid-2-HEAD
> branch.

OK, but it is in squid2 ...

> Whats really needed is some more thought about the structure of the code.

I agree with you .....
> Want to know what else is silly in the client-side code when you go digging?
>
> Here's a snippet just from handling the incoming request:

> What about building the reply, once we've negotiated the myriad of the store
> manager?

agree .....
> Yes, I'd like to do all of what you've suggested above but I'm going to do it by
> junking most of the client-side request/reply handling routines and replacing them
> with stuff written from the ground up to use a sane API. Buffers won't be copied;
> stuff will be parsed once and parsed quickly; the whole of the URL rewrite/XFF/
> Acceleration/ACL lookups/etc will be implemented as a state engine with events
> rather than callback-driven like it is today. Its also doable in a -lot- less code
> than is traversed today.
>
> I believe the only way we're going to get long-term benefits out of any improvement
> work is to pick some medium term goals (mostly structured around knowing what
> we'd like the code to look and picking incremental API and code decisions which
> take us down that path) and working on them piece by piece.

Ok Adrian, I am watching the mailing list and I know what you want to
do. I believe too that some parts of squid needs redesign, if the
project wants to survive. Squid is an old and huge project. And you
must continue your work because you want a fast http proxy, with cleaner
code and better api's .

In the other hand I need a proxy with an icap client because I spent
time (and continue spending) to an icap related project. Squid3 has a
good icap client. The first problem someones can see in squid3 is that
there are some parts derived from c-code, which are not (fully)
converted to real c++ code. The second is a feeling that some parts of
code are half-completed. I am thinking that maybe it is good practice
for someone to start fixing this things first....

An alternate for me is to try fix the bugs and rewrite some of the
icap-related parts of the squid26-icap branch. I don't know ....

Regards,
      Christos