Re: importing logfiles into MySQL

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:43:03 +1100

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 17:48 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> There's tens of ways of importing Squid logfiles into MySQL (mostly as part
> of a web utility to analyse/browse/report on Squid use.)
>
> I'm writing one for a client and I figure the best thing we can do is
> include a "Squid format" MySQL database schema and logfile parser which
> others can then write their applications to use.

I think the schema is less useful than a parser which can reverse the
settings from squid.conf.

That is if we have a custom_logfile setting of FOO, the parser should be
able to turn that reliably into structured data. One way of doing that
would be to just dump the output into a neutral but tagged format like
csv/xml/yaml.

Much more useful IMO than a specific database schema which doesn't match
what any of the existing tools out there use, and almost by definition
wont ever really match.

-Rob