Re: IPv6 developments for HEAD

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:40:21 -0600

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 23:19 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Currently the branch is looking at nearly 5500 lines of code changed.
> With nearly 3000 lines removed from the core of squid so far.
>
> In complete agreement with Henrik and Adrians views that stability in
> 3.0 should not be risked. I am nevertheless trying to drop that huge
> difference in 'small' discrete isolated chunks.
>
> I have managed to find 3 areas that will do a large amount of reduction
> without changing or touching the core code in any way. RFCs were step 1.
> IPAddress is step 2. A new rfc3596 (DNS) library based non the RFCs
> is a third, but that still needs major testing and is weeks away I think.
>
> When the 'non-changes' are out of the branch and in HEAD waiting to be
> used. The actual core changes can push ahead cleanly for IPv6 in 3.1,
> both inside my branch and in any others who want to jump for the new
> ability while HEAD is closed to them.

Thank you for the explanation. I still do not see much practical value
in committing unused code. To me, committing 5500 lines with IPAddress
is pretty much the same as committing 5200 lines without IPAddress
because IPAddress is not used by the current code.

However, I am not objecting to committing IPAddress. If others think
IPAddress should be added to Squid3 now, then we should commit them.

Thank you,

Alex.