Re: logfile helper

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 19:14:56 +0800

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007, Robin Bowes wrote:

> Adrian, I'm happy to attempt to port the Logfile IO stuff to 2.6 if I
> can get some sort of overview of how it works. Do you have any docs
> describing how your logfile stuff works?

Its pretty simple. the s26_logfile_daemon code abstracts out the
logfile processing stuff a little. There's a few calls you need to
provide in the logfile struct:

* a call which says "this is the beginning of the line"
* a call which adds data to the line
* a call which says "this is the end of the line"
* a call which handles rotation
* a call which handles flushing the current data to disk (a "sync" call)

It should be straightforward if you look at logfile.c and the logfile struct
layout. Its slightly different from how the codebase worked before (where
"flush" seemed to be the end of line and "sync" call) so don't try to look
at the current squid-2 or squid-2.6 codebase.

It'll all be incorporated into Squid-3 as I've got a seperate branch
which implements a Logfile class to do the above. Implementing a pipe helper
will be pretty trivial in Squid-3.

Adrian