Re: meaning of out.size in cache_object://localhost/active_requests

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:46:54 +0200

mån 2007-06-25 klockan 01:22 +0300 skrev Rolf Dergham:
> How are the out.size and out.offset statistics calculated?

out.size is incremented each time Squid sends data to the client soket.

out.offset is how much the client side has read from the StoreEntry.
It's an internal counter, and indicates an offset into the original
reply.

> I am trying to track the bandwidth used by squid downloads. I wrote a
> script that I called "Squid download monitor". This script uses the
> value of out.size to calculate the bandwidth used by every squid
> request, assuming that out.size is the amount of bytes already
> downloaded for the requested object.

Yes.

> Am I right in this assumption?

Yes.

> The reason I'm asking is that my script seems to work fine most of the
> time but sometimes outputs odd values, like negative bandwidth values
> (which should never happen)

No idea about that. out.size is also what is used as the information
source when reporting the reply size in access.log.