Re: squid3-largeobj squid3/src HttpHdrRange.cc...

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:35:43 -0600

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 20:18 +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> How about I first dig-up/rewrite some old code I wrote years ago that
> parses a value nX where n is some integer and X is one of the
> B/KB/MB/GB/...etc base strings?

That would be nice. I think Squid3 already has something similar for
some time values, but it is not required. Same for some size values, as
Henrik pointed out.

> Then we can go about making all these annoying magic squid.conf values
> more human readable where they are supposed to be bandwidth amounts or
> storage sizes. And have the parser determine the minimum values base
> multiplier.

I think that unitless parameters are "wrong", but making size units
_required_ worries me for two reasons:

        1) Changing this will make switching between Squid2 and Squid3
        configs more difficult.

        2) This change would have to be done before Squid 3.0 release
        and may delay it.

On the other hand, if size units are optional, then we should add them,
but there is no rush to do it now as it will not solve any critical
problems. If they take more than a couple of days to write, test, and
commit, then we can add them to 3.1, for example.

Alex.