Re: default cache user

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:19:58 +1200

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
>> I wondered about that. I don't exactly have a preference, just picked a
>> shorter one. Though I suppose "--with-default-user" is better.
>>

>>> "default-cache-group" ?
>> "group" is not involved/configurable that way. Squid pulls default group
>> from host passwd file seperately. cf.data.pre explains how.
>
> Err, it says it defaults to the primary gid but you can override it with
> cache_effective_group, or am I looking at the wrong cf.data.pre?

It does. No you're looking at the right file. Wrong place ;-)

The description of "cache_effective_group" implies a default behavior
without actually saying it.

The description of "cache_effective_user" actually out and says what the
default for GID is when group is not configured by squid.conf:
  " Squid sets the GID to the effective
    user's default group ID (taken from the password file) and
    supplementary group list from the from groups membership of
    cache_effective_user.
   "

This patch only alters what the DEFAULT cache_effective_user is IFF
./configure'd. AND if squid.conf does not specify an override.

SO;
  hard-coded default user: nobody
  (new) --with-*user=USER - override project default UID.
  squid.conf:cache_effective_user - override --with-*-user UID

  default group: GID from system config of UID after the above.
  squid.conf:cache_effective_group - override system UID/GID pair

Amos
Methinks you are in an arguing mood ;-)