Re: cvs commit: squid3 configure.in

From: Pierangelo Masarati <ando@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 07:53:17 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

(snip)

> a) Getting the APIs the modules needs to use to perform their actions
> reasonably in shape.
>
> b) Adding suitable component registries, allowing modules to register at
> runtime and avoiding direct knowledge of the implementation in other
> parts of the code.
>

> 'a' is quite important if we are to open for third-party modules as
> there is then a need for a reasonably stable API the modules can use.
> It's not going to be seen well if key aspects of those APIs changes
> every month..

I think you don't need to burn your brains too much on this point.
Figuring the perfect API out of the blue could mean spend a lot of
energies on something that would eventually freeze anyway, and if one
really needs a feature that was introduced few hours before, he won't
complain if minimal adjustments are required for a while (he'll probably
have more issues within his own plugin). Having said this, your point
definitely makes sense, and should drive the design, but without
excessive concern.

> but for the goal of spliting Squid in loadable objects all under our
> control then it's not so important and just 'b' suffices to get it done.

Well, I believe it's a pity to hide this feature. Modularity and
extensibility often represent a winning point in software, as someone
with special needs will always stump in.

Cheers, p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.