Re: v3.1 TODO and deadline

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:13:34 -0600

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 11:58 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> > 1) "Prime candidates": Documented features that have at least one
> > developer or sponsor behind them, ready to commit time to fully develop
> > (i.e., write, test, document, commit, and provide initial support) the
> > proposed feature within v3.1 release timeline.
> >
> > 2) "Wish List": Other features somebody wants to see implemented. It
> > would still be nice to have a "shepherd" for each feature. Features from
> > this group can be propagated to the Prime set once they gain a little
> > bit of documentation and a dedicated developer.

> > Finally, how about setting a deadline for v3.1 feature-freeze? How about
> > January 31st, 2008?

> Seems to me we don't have enough info for this one. And won't really until
> 2.x is closed and the user base start yelling for certain features before
> they upgrade.

IMO, we need an initial set of Prime Candidates (with explanations,
commitments, time estimates, etc. and not just the current one-liners)
before we should finalize the v3.1 feature freeze date. The set of
features-to-be-implemented and their completion estimates determines
when v3.1 should be ready to be frozen, does not it?

I do not see any connection with v2.x though. If we implement three new
features and want to release v3.1 with them, why should we wait for
something happening with v2.x or its users?

Thank you,

Alex.