Re: v3.1 TODO and deadline

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 23:04:50 -0600

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 16:25 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> >> develop

> >> from

> >> about
> >
> >> Seems to me we don't have enough info for this one. And won't really
> >> until 2.x is closed and the user base start yelling for certain features
> >> before they upgrade.
> >
> > IMO, we need an initial set of Prime Candidates (with explanations,
> > commitments, time estimates, etc. and not just the current one-liners)
> > before we should finalize the v3.1 feature freeze date. The set of
> > features-to-be-implemented and their completion estimates determines
> > when v3.1 should be ready to be frozen, does not it?
> >
> > I do not see any connection with v2.x though. If we implement three new
> > features and want to release v3.1 with them, why should we wait for
> > something happening with v2.x or its users?
>
> The connection is that we want people to actually use 3.x. Giving them
> strong reasons not to is a Bad Idea. Missing features is a pretty strong
> reason for not choosing software at times.

Sure, but releasing v3.1 with a few _more_ features than v3.0 seems like
a step in the right direction. I doubt we have or will have the capacity
to implement all 2.x features in a single 3.x release in the foreseeable
future. Some features will be missing, possibly forever.

We cannot please all the users, but can please an increasing number of
them, which should generate an increasing interest in testing and
sponsoring new Squid development.

$0.02,

Alex.