Re: udp address setting docs are bad.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:05:26 +1300

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On fre, 2007-10-12 at 12:30 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> The squid.conf docs for udp_incoming_address specify that its ICP-only
>> related.
>> However the Config.Addrs.udp_incoming is used by ICP, HTCP, and DNS.
>>
>> Similarly, docs for udp_outgoing_address specify that its ICP-only related.
>> However the Config.Addrs.udp_outgoing is used by ICP, HTCP, syslog, and DNS.
>>
>> This is from the 2.6 docs, I haven't checked 3.0, but its likely the same.
>>
>> Anyone have suggestions on what should be said?
>
> My opinion: Most uses of this should be removed.

Same, eventually. But is now the time to introduce an option change in
2.x or 3.x for that matter?

> ICP & HTCP should have it's address specified in the icp_port directive,
> at least for incoming. If there is need for a separate incoming address
> then add an icp/htcp_outgoing_port directive..
>
> Where is it used by syslog?

I grep'd for Config.Addrs.udp_outgoing and Config.Addrs.udp_incoming

Just repeated I can't find the spot that made me write that. Maybe I got
confused. Was sure it was binding to the out* for the UDP packets.
There is a use in access.log multicast MISS broadcast.

> Not sure about the DNS client.

Well, if there is any reason for an address it should be a new option
address:port like the others. Otherwise the default 0.0.0.0 should be
enough.

I agree with all of this as needed. However I think its a big code and
option change for 3.1.

Amos