Re: IPv6-QUESTION ON SQUID MIB.TXT TABLE

From: Rafael Martinez \(Squid development\) <rmartine@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:09:20 +0200

> Having now read 4001. I feel the squid tables with IP fall under section
> 1, pg 3, "type 1" objects.
>
> Which leaves us with:
> - "SHOULD implement" InetAddress
> - "strongly discouraged" from using the split method

OK

> Section 5 covers a table index usage case pretty close to the reality in
> squid. That said, their way of neutral is way more complex than I had
> thought.

Hmmm... Why ?
- Because backwards-compatibility (squid 2.X) is lost ?
- Because squid snmp_agent must be recoded ?

We can almost borrow that bunch of specification for ours... Take a
look for the "diff" proposal below ( it is not commit )

> To alleviate we have:
> InetAddressIPv6 - "MAY be used either on its own or in conjunction
> with InetAddressType, as a pair".
> InetAddressIPv4 - same.
>
> Making cachePeerAddr -> InetAddressIPv6 would be cleanest of all three
> if not entirely neutral.

And coding IPv4 cachePeerAddr as IPv6-mapped addresses ?
This would also destroy backwards-compatibility, sizes are different.

> ?? by My full reading of 4001 and skim of 2465 I get the opposite.
> 4001 appears to define enough available to use neutral fairly easily.
> 2465 still seems major overkill, and itself imports the IPv6Address TC
> from somewhere else that we would otherwise be importing through it.

Absolute agree.

Some proposal.
16,17c16,17
< Ipv6Address
< FROM IPV6-TC;

---
> 	InetAddressType, InetAddress
>         	FROM INET-ADDRESS-MIB;
722c722
< 		INDEX 	{ cachePeerAddr }
---
> 		INDEX 	{ cachePeerAddressType, cachePeerAddress }
727c727,728
< 	  cachePeerAddr  	IpAddress,
---
> 	  cachePeerAddressType  InetAddressType,
> 	  cachePeerAddress      InetAddress,
750,756c751,785
< 	cachePeerAddr OBJECT-TYPE
<                 SYNTAX IpAddress
<                 MAX-ACCESS read-only
<                 STATUS current
< 		DESCRIPTION
< 			" The IP Address of the peer cache "
<         ::= { cachePeerEntry 2 }
---
> 	cachePeerAddressType OBJECT-TYPE
> 	SYNTAX      InetAddressType
> 	MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
> 	STATUS      current
> 	DESCRIPTION
> 		"The type of Internet address by which the peer
> 		is reachable."
>
> 	::= { cachePeerEntry 2 }
>
> 	cachePeerAddress OBJECT-TYPE
> 	SYNTAX      InetAddress (SIZE (1..64))
> 	MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
> 	STATUS      current
> 	DESCRIPTION
> 	"The Internet address for the peer.  The type of this
> 	 address is determined by the value of the peerAddressType
>          object.  Note that implementations must limit themselves
>          to a single entry in this table per reachable peer.
>          The peerAddress may not be empty due to the SIZE
>          restriction.
>
>          If a row is created administratively by an SNMP
>          operation and the address type value is dns(16), then
>          the agent stores the DNS name internally.  A DNS name
>          lookup must be performed on the internally stored DNS
>          name whenever it is being used to contact the peer.
>
>          If a row is created by the managed entity itself and
>          the address type value is dns(16), then the agent
>          stores the IP address internally.  A DNS reverse lookup
>          must be performed on the internally stored IP address
>          whenever the value is retrieved via SNMP."
> 	 ::= { cachePeerEntry 3 }

764c793
<         ::= { cachePeerEntry 3 }
---