negative object sizes?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:55:31 +0900

I've been fiddling with Squid-2.HEAD and google maps, and I've noticed that
weird stuff happens.

Here's the log entries:

1195739570.596 SWAPOUT 00 00034F1B BEAF584D4381EE1DCAF38A162BAA0224 200 1195739570 1103259488 1227275570 image/jpeg 11389/11389 GET http://kh2.google.com.au/kh?n=404&v=23&t=ttrtq
1195777355.041 RELEASE 00 00034F1B 748D838AAD5499315AEE444C306BE06C 200 1195739570 1103259488 1227275570 image/jpeg 11389/-243 GET http://kh2.google.com.au/kh?n=404&v=23&t=ttrtq
1195777356.133 RELEASE -1 FFFFFFFF C208FB77DE2B773EFFBCF7DA928D1DF7 200 1195777354 1103259488 1227313354 image/jpeg 11389/11389 GET http://kh2.google.com.au/kh?n=404&v=23&t=ttrtq

Now, the log entries in access.log so TCP_MISS, then TCP_REFRESH_MISS.

I'll sort out the revalidation issue, but I note that there's a negative object
size there - that -243 is in store_log.c:

mem->inmem_hi - mem->reply->hdr_sz,

Any insights into that? I'll keep digging into this as I'm trying to figure
out why Squid-2.HEAD is trying to revalidate objects which have an expiry time
in the future. (It doesn't help that Google's keyhole servers don't handle
if-modified-since requests properly, but thats a different battle to fight.)

Thanks,

Adrian