Re: bzr VCS feedback

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:47:31 +1100

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 12:20 -0200, Gonzalo Arana wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 7:15 PM, Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 16:50 -0200, Gonzalo Arana wrote:
> > > Tsantilas,
> > >
> > > debian (and most linux/BSD distros I guess) come with a usable CVS
> > > version.
> >
> > Newer bzr is in backports.org, bsd ports, fedora and so on.
>
> Using backports always ended in some dpkg brokeness. If a debian user
> really wants to user bzr, installing from source I guess is the only long-term
> option. bzr by default, installed in /usr; while /usr/local would be a better
> choice I suppose. I guess this is a non-stopper anyway.

backports should work just fine; they are maintained by DD's. If they
don't, file bugs :).

You can run bzr out of the source tree - just add the source tree to
your path.

> > They are doing completely different things. CVS is streaming the final
> > texts from the remote server and is not processing any of the history
> > data. bzr is cloning the deep history of the repository. 80M is more
>
> I understand the cause of this memory usage, but that does not make
> the memory usage less inconvenient.

I agree.

> > than I would have expected; I'd call that a bug. It won't ever be '4K'
> > though because python takes more memory than that.
>
> I believe a reasonable memory usage would be accepted, but 80M to
> fetch the history data makes me think that bzr may not be as tested
> as people may think.
>
> Again, that's just my opinion. If squid-3.1 is shifted to bzr, I'll manage.

Well, 80MB to grab a 60MB compressed archive representing 10s of
thousands of file versions; IIRC the peak memory usage of 1.0 with http
is a minimum of the size of the remote http file due to how the http
layer buffers data; this is either fixed in 1.1, or in progress.

> > > $ ps axuw | grep bzr
> > > garana 27912 7.1 2.9 17872 15096 pts/16 S+ 16:03 0:02
> > > /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/bzr bind
> > > http://www.squid-cache.org/bzr/squid3/trunk
> > >
> > > Since I am not a core squid developer, I know that I don't have a vote
> > > on this, but
> > > I have to say that I am quite disappointed with bzr resource usage.
> >
> > Do you mind me asking how much RAM your workstation has?
>
> Not at all! My office workstation has 512M. I wouln't like to have to shutdown
> firefox, apache, mysql, gkrellm, gaim and so on to do a 'bzr branch'. I don't
> need to do that when I do 'cvs checkout'.

I don't think you should need to do that for bzr either; I'm pretty
confident that local operations - making new branches, performing a
checkout --lightweight, etc, will be lower in memory use.

-Rob