Re: so, 3.x VCS

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:50:12 -0700

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 10:32 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 09:46 -0700, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 08:24 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> > > So far I've heard of 3 devs trying the bzr tree, main concern has been
> > > 'high' memory use (80MB) during initial pull, and that 1.0 is not all
> > > that wide spread in stable distribution releases.
> > >
> > > I'd like to get feedback (or an explicit 'its fine') from hno, alex and
> > > duane specifically before I suggest that we have consensus and are ready
> > > to set a date for making CVS readonly and doing a final conversion.
> >
> > IMHO, we should wait until bzr 1.x is widely spread and, hence, better
> > tested and documented. With folks pushing for Squid 3.1 release soon and
> > a few large branches not integrated yet, I would rather not spend time
> > on learning a new VCS and struggling with relatively immature software.

> Like all products bzr moves and advances; I would not classify it as
> relatively immature because of its recently reaching '1.0' - it got
> labelled 1.0 to reflect its maturity rather than immaturity.

It is not about the version number, it is about being widely available
and used for a while. The first "mature" version of a VCS tool that has
not been a part of major distributions for at _least_ a few months does
not qualify, IMHO. We do not need to be on the cutting edge when it
comes to version control, at least not right now.

Alex.