Re: cvs commit: squid3/src String.cc

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:36:33 -0700

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 09:57 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> > On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 19:07 +0200, Tsantilas Christos wrote:
> >> squid crashes after this patch, something is wrong. After reverting to
> >> a previews version of String.cc all are OK again .....

> > I committed a fix to HEAD. However, I see other suspicious behavior when
> > doing ICAP so there may be more problems to fix.
>
> Definately. I'm not finished there.
> This was just one of the validation failures in String. Thanks for finding
> the caller. I've also beefed up limitInit itself to handle the simple
> 0-len case it should be able to cope with by itself.

I did find more problems caused by the "call reduction" changes and will
commit a fix soon. I am going to change a few names and make a few calls
private to avoid this kind of confusion in the future.

Amos, you may feel like you were cursed by SquidString, but the reality
is that the core API problems were introduced or not removed much
earlier, when C strings were half-converted to C++. You are just being
bitten by the code that is very difficult (and, hence, dangerous) to
modify, even a little.

HTH,

Alex.